I absolutely LOVE the entrepreneurial and small business owner spirit! Often passion driven, inspired to make an impact, that driving desire to serve. I know it well. We like to dream big, take action and make a difference. However, this drive, if left unchecked and not supported by both personal and business boundaries, can be our downfall.
Boundaries act as a safeguard & protect not only your physical and emotional well-being, but also the well-being of your business.
“Failing to set business boundaries for your well-being can result in your inability to execute to your full potential.”
Self-awareness is key to setting strong boundaries that support your success. To set appropriate boundaries, you must first know your personal limitations, needs and values, as well as your business skills and goals. You also need to listen to the signals your body is giving you, be committed to your well-being and practice self-compassion. Self-compassion allows us to honor our truest needs, our personal well-being. When you do this, you will know what boundaries to put into place to best safeguard your well-being and business.
The #1 Way to Put Boundary Safeguards Into Place Is…
… Time Blocking Your Calendar.
(WARNING: To get the FULL effects, your time blocks MUST be non-negotiable.)
Time Blocking is Essential for Your Personal & Business Well-Being Because:
- Time blocking helps you Stay Aligned with Your Goals, your direction, and remain focused. Without this, your business growth could be too quick and lead to unmanaged clients, stress & overwhelm. Pro Tip: Superpower your time blocks with flex blocks.
- Without enforced Boundaries Around Your Time, you could be tempted to put too much pressure on yourself and lose your sense of inner balance. If you do not enforce your boundaries, in the end, something is going to give out: your health, your relationships, or your business.
- Boundaries Help to Create Structure in Your Life. Structure provides freedom to live up to your full potential.
Before you say, “I hate structure & systems,” think about Music.
Would you say that music doesn’t soar & reach incredible heights?! Certainly not. The structure & boundaries of music, like key signatures, tempo, etc., provide the foundation for music to be free and reach its potential. Music without structure is just noise.
Tips On How to Set and Enforce Your Boundaries:
- Start With What You Know. If you know that you perform best on 7-8 hours of sleep, then set boundaries to avoid staying up late, or allowing others to keep you from getting quality sleep.
- Put YOUR Time on the Calendar FIRST. Before scheduling others or activities, first block time on your calendar for things that revitalize you. For instance, taking a morning walk, yoga class, meditation, a hobby, etc.
- Honor Your Limitations to Show Up For Your Business. If 6 hours of work a day allows you to give your BEST to your business, then 6 hours is your boundary. You will by far see much better results in growing your business by working a limited number of hours during your peak performance hours, than if you push yourself all day, every day.
- Set Reasonable Client Deliverable Timelines. Before you begin working with a new client, know your boundaries. Choose boundaries that reduce your stress and that create space for your success. For example, set parameters around the turn-around time on client projects. You get to choose the timeframe: 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, or more. Put this limit in your client agreement, and then enjoy the peace of mind that you have space to protect your well-being and to better serve your client.
Boundaries are only as useful if they are both well thought out and enforced. When you are tempted to let your boundaries slide, consider the consequences. Recovery is always harder than prevention.
For ongoing inspiration, strategies, and stories on how to create and live a life of balance and well-being, sign up for BalanceUP Community News.